Tuesday, December 19, 2023

Band performance

It's amazing what Owen has been able to learn in band so far this year! He'd never read sheet music before, nor ever blew air into an instrument besides the recorder in elementary school, and now he's playing recognizable songs! Check out what he could do at the end of October, after just 2 months of learning: here, here, and here

At first Owen wasn't super into practicing, especially when he only knew a note or two. As he's learned more songs, though, he's been excited to play them for us. We even had Willow try and sing along to some Christmas songs! Jingle Bells and Jolly Old St. Nicholas

Funny story....Owen came home telling about a new kid to clarinet in band, saying, "I taught him everything I know." I was confused and said, "What do you know? You've only had band 3 or 4 times." He responded with, "E." Well, I guess that's pretty easy to teach then ;)

I found simple sheet music for "Happy birthday" and wanted him to learn it before Chris' birthday in December. He didn't know how to play B yet, so he decided to write all of the notes 3 below what they were supposed to be so that he would know all the notes. Needless to say, that's not how music works and it sounded a bit "off." Check out their birthday duo for Gramma

Their first band performance was in December and I have the utmost respect and admiration for the band director! She had them all take off their mouth piece and blow into it. It sounded horrendous but she said, "It's music to my ears!!" Whew!! That's a true love of the process of making music! We were super impressed with how much they've learned in just 3 1/2 months! Check out their songs here, here, here, here, here, and here!





No comments:

Post a Comment