Monday, July 13, 2015

VBS

I was suckered into being a vacation Bible school teacher this summer. I had done VBS about 9 years ago but stressed myself out with wanting kids to listen and be respectful and decided that my summers were truly to be a break from being in charge of a classroom of kids. Our current church needed additional volunteers with the 5-yr olds so I decided to help. It was Kindergarten curriculum and the director said it would be a mix of rising Kdgs and rising 1st graders so Willow could be in my class if she wanted. I asked her and she said she wanted to be in my class without even hesitating. I took it as a good sign =)  VBS at our church is HUGE! They reported there were 600+ students and 200+ adult/youth helpers! There were 3 of us teaching the 18-20 students we had daily, with 2 youth helpers. You'd think with that many people it would've been in control, yet it still felt crazy to me. Willow had fun every day so we'll count the week as a success, but I've decided that maybe the nursery is a better place for me to volunteer next year! My nerves can't take it in my "old age." ;) Owen was 4 months shy of being old enough to attend in a class (and probably needed to be potty trained as well) but had the option of being in the nursery (18 months-3 yrs). They take the older kids to crafts, music, and rec time too so we decided to let him tag along after feeling left out the first day. He had a great time and I was told every day when I picked him up that he'd been a good helper. A woman even told me Sunday at church that her son in Owen's class couldn't stop talking about Owen when he got home each day. 

Sunday night the kids 4 yrs and older sang their songs from VBS on the stage for the parents. These will be the closest videos we'll ever have since I was sitting right in front of the kids from our class =) Willow reports that music was her favorite part of the week!

Check out Willow in action (short videos due to the battery dying):

No comments:

Post a Comment